I have a fun and easy sewing project for you today using a free printable sewing pattern. These pull-on shorts feature no side seams and a no casing elastic waistband making them super quick to sew, that you’ll be able to make several pairs in no time! You can use breathable, moisture-wicking fabrics to make these shorts so your kiddo will be comfy and cool chilling at home or playing outside in the hot summer days ahead.
I drafted this simple one-piece pattern for my little boy who is 9, but these shorts are perfect for both boys and girls. If your kiddo wears a size M (8-10) from Target, then these should fit him/her comfortably.
Also, be sure to share pics of your finished projects by tagging me @sew_zune on Instagram or post on the Zune’s Sewing Therapy Facebook. I’d love to see your creation!
Let’s get sewing!
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
- 3/4 Yards of Knit Fabric (Interlock, Jersey, Single Knit, Spandex Blends, Two Way Stretch, French Terry, Double Knit)
*Extra fabric needed to match plaids, stripes or one-way design fabrics.
- 3/4” Wide Knit Elastic – 22”
- Ball Point or Stretch Sewing Needle (recommended)
- Twin Stretch Needle (optional for hemming)
- Matching Thread
- Ribbon for Tag/Clothing Label – Desired width, 2”- 3” long.
- Print Pattern – This FREE pattern is kids’ size M (8-10) and is available to all my newsletter subscribers. Check your inbox or junk folder for the confirmation email. Be sure to have your pop up blocker disabled.
Video Tutorial – Coming Soon!
1. Cut out two mirrored pieces from your fabric – one will be for the right side of the body and the other the left.
2. With RIGHT sides together, pin the short (front) and long (back) curves. Zigzag/Serge with a 3/8” seam allowance.
3. With RIGHT sides together, match and pin the front and back center seams together. Then, match and pin the leg seams. Zigzag/Serge with a 3/8” seam allowance.
4. Butt the ends of the elastic together, and use a wide zigzag to join. Divide the elastic into quarters. Also, divide the shorts waist into quarters.
5. On the WRONG side of the shorts, match and pin the quarter markings of the elastic to the quarter markings of the shorts waist.
6. Zigzag/Serge the elastic to the shorts waist, stretching the elastic (not the fabric) gently between pins. If you’re using a serger, be careful to NOT cut the elastic.
7. Fold the elastic down towards the inside of the shorts. Stitch along the bottom of the elastic to the shorts with a wide straight stitch.
8. Fold and press the hem up 3/4” towards the inside of the shorts. Use Twin Stretch Needles or a narrow zigzag stitch. Lastly, press and steam the seams to remove any waviness.
You’re all done!