Easy Step-by-Step Tutorial on How To Make a Scrunchie. Great Sewing Project for Kids. Video tutorial for the DIY Scrunchie available as well.
Take your bun or pony tail to a whole other luxurious level with a velvet scrunchie! I used Crushed Panne Velvet to add that posh factor.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 24”x4” fabric (Pink scrunchie)
- 20 1/4”x4” fabric (Purple scrunchie)
- 1/4” Braided Elastic – 8″ long
- Matching Thread
- Safety Pin
Watch the video tutorial here!
You can cut your scrunchie fabric crossgrain or lengthwise, and use a regular straight stitch even with knit fabrics. Be sure to use BRAIDED elastic and not knit or woven elastic. Braided elastic will narrow when stretched, whereas the other two will not.
1. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise right sides together, with a 1/4” seam allowance, start and stop stitching 1 1/2” from the ends.
2. Turn the scrunchie right side out. Place ends right sides together, stitch with a 1/4” seam allowance and press open.
3. Attach the safety pin to one end of the elastic and insert it into the loop. *TIP – Wrap some tape to keep the safety pin closed.
4. After removing the safety pin, overlap the elastic ends and stitch with a straight or zig zag stitch.
5. Close the opening by folding the raw edges under 1/4” and topstitching with a matching thread. You can also choose to hand stitch the opening close. Hand-stitching is terrific for when you don’t have any color thread that matches your fabric and the stitches will be hidden in the seam.
Yay, you did it! If you do make this scrunchie, be sure to tag me on Instagram @sew_zune or share your pictures on the Zune’s Sewing Therapy Facebook. I’d love to see how you or your little one rock your handmade scrunchie!